All Talk and No Action Wednesday, December 31, 2008



This has definitely been my personal "most awaited movie" of 2008.

I had wanted to catch a first day preview of this one. However, prior commitments held me back !

Later reviews flew thick and fast. Everyone had something or the other to say - a disappointment to a masala flick to a blockbuster !

I wanted to find out for myself.

I must say - I was absolutely enthralled by the movie.

Nope, unlike other Aamir movies - this one doesn't boast of a strong storyline. Also, it is a complete bollywoodish masala flick, with Aamir in a never seen before avtaar.

Yet, what clicked for me was the effort and sincerity of the movie !

Always known for his softie/boy next door roles, Aamir sure was a revelation in this one !

Apart from a body to die for, Ghajini brings out the "Animal" in Aamir !!

His metamorphoses from an introverted, high flying tycoon to a man blinded by rage and revenge are
spellbinding !

Being an Aamir fan - I was delighted to see my fave actor do something diabolical yet again !

He makes you want to smile and cry at the same time ! This is the power he holds over the audiences !

OK. Enough about Aamir !

Now, the story - The movie revolves around a man's search for the murderer of his beloved.

The twist here being that the protagonist has to live with his "short term memory loss" and fight the goons !

I found the movie to be loud in many places, first & foremost being Asin !

I wasn't impressed by the lady and felt she could have given a far better performance had she restrained her histrionics. You see, Bollywood audiences have outgrown Garish laughter and nakhras that are still a rage down south.

Jiah Khan was wooden.

Even the antagonist, Mr. Ghajini's role could have been given more depth. I say so because, Aamir sets a standard so high, that we need an extremely tough opponent against him.

Anyway, I was far too engrossed watching Aamir emote and flex his muscles than bother about a half convincing villian.

All said and done, I would recommend Ghajini to one and all - go and watch the power of this Khan !

Complete Paisa Vasooooolllll !!!!



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Asin was good too. Infact it is one of the best performances of an actress in a Hindi movie in recent times.

The movie was also different from usual Hindi flicks probably because it was a remake of a Tasmil movie. People who have seen both the Tamil and Hindi Gajini feel that Surya (main lead in Tamil Gajini) was better than Aamir !!

The movie can be seen once. People who are not Aamir Khan fans may not like the movie at all.

All Talk and No Action said...

@India Unbound -
Asin?? Best Performance?? Hahahahaha...Good one...

Also, lets take the movies individually. Virasat's original verson had Kamal Hasan and hence people felt that was a better version. That however doesn't mean that Anil Kapoor wasn't great in Virasat.

Also, it's not about Aamir fans. Anyone who enjoys watching variety and cool performances would like the movie.

Anonymous said...

@ All Talk and No Action

I never said that Amir was not great. All I am saying is that most people who have seen both versions feel that Surya's acting was better. I believe Aamir is the best mainstream actor in Bollywood today. By mainstream actors, I mean SRK, Hrithik, Salman, Saif, Akshay etc. And still I dont think the movie was as good as Aamir's other movies of recent times.

Meanwhile, Surya is at his humblest here : http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2008/dec/29suriya-on-aamirs-ghajini.htm

Anonymous said...

Bingooooooooooo...!!!!!!!!!

I loved the movie........ and ofcourse specially aamir khan... it was awesome, asin was also good, bt i guess she had got more scope which she didnt utilise...

and by the way i happn to b lucky to c it 1st day 1st show :)

Ye manzilen !! said...

Aamir hai to kiya.....koi "shyana" hai kiya woh idhar ka?

I left half way thru "rab ne..." feel this is too over-exagggrated one hour longer than needed movie....

These guys dont need 8 packs bur good writers...

All Talk and No Action said...

@India Unbound - The movie clicked only coz Aamir was seen in a violent avtaar...something he has never done before. Just shows how versatile the actor is !
I am sure Surya would have done a Fab job in the southern version...However, I can't comment w/o watching it.

@Devil Incarnate - Luckkyyy You !!!
I think Asin has a LONG way to go before we can credit her with being a seasoned actress...

@Ye manzilen - Aaamir toh definitely shyaane hain :)

The actor has time and again proved his mettle in a motley of roles...For me, he is the undisputed king of Bollywood.
Also, he has a knack for choosing the best scripts from the 1000s of stupid ones floating around...

I wouldn't be able to comment on Rab ne...since I haven't watched it yet.

Ye manzilen !! said...

Bade hardcore fans hain 6 pack wale ke

All Talk and No Action said...

@ye manzilen - correction...8 pack wale ki fan :)