All Talk and No Action Monday, January 9, 2012

I stumbled upon this video of Isa Leshko. Poignant and beautiful. Some of you may find Isa's personification of the animals silly. Yet, it struck a chord with me.



I always maintain that caring for a pet has made me more human. I'm glad to have relatives and friends who've had various farm animals as pets.


Getting to know such animals has been an important part of my life experiences.


Most in my family are very sensitive to animal abuse, and feel strongly about animal rights. This may sound funny, especially, if you're from my part of the world, India. In a country famous for its callous attitude towards human life,  striving for animal rights can appear to be an elitist indulgence.


Yet, humans can find courage and hope, rationalize and even stand up to their tormentors. Not so with animals. World over, many farm animals, including well bred home pets, continue to die earlier than usual; they are either abused at a young age or turned away by their adoptive families in old age.


**********


Another reason why I found the video compelling was the ageing factor. There is much discomfort and disgrace attached to this natural process. Yet it's the one thing that connects us all.

1 comment:

gwl said...

Animals also feel helpless when they r aged?
http://www.giftwithlove.com