All Talk and No Action Friday, December 26, 2008


I am a BIG fan of the horror genre.

Now, horror movies generally don't scare me. Also, the blood and gore aren't the types I like. They seem rather stupid to me.

What I like are movies like The Sixth Sense. Very believable and dark.

I have wanted to watch The Others since a long time now. What made me keen, apart from it being a horror flick was watching Nicole in action. This was my first Nicole movie and…to come to the point She surpassed all my expectations !

The Others is a ghost flick set in the 1950s, just after the World War II. It outlines the story of a war torn mother and her two kids.

They lead solitary lives in a mansion. Their days are filled with readings from the Bible and an endless wait for the Man of the house who is a war soldier.

Add to this, the fact that the kids suffer from an indescribable allergy to light. Hence, at no times should the doors and windows of the mansion be kept open ! Also, all the inhabitants follow a strict code while in the house no room should be entered without locking the door of the previous room.

What makes their wait creepy and scary is that their Mansion is haunted by "The Others". These "others" tear the fabric of their routine lives is what forms the crux of the movie.

The two kids called "Anne" and "Nicolas" are adorable and have given fine performances. Their tiffs seem very natural and would make one think that they are probably real life siblings too.

The movie also includes supporting cast in the form of Nicole's husband (nothing to write about) and the house attendants. Of the attendants Mrs. Mills (Fionnula Flanagan) brings the right amount of mystery and old world charm to her "Nanny" act.

The movie has an amazing cinematography the whole look of the mansion and the dark interiors set the pace and mood of the movie.

The creepy background score not only scares but also evokes strong emotions for the protagonists.

The editing is crisp and at no point did I feel that a scene was wasted or unwarranted for.

Nicole's portrayal of a longing wife and an upright and caring mother leave us asking for more ! Her delicate walk, the far-away look and the pain of losing her children to the unknown would stir strong emotions amongst all.

Only when we think that the climax is near and the battle has been lost does the movie take a U turn ! A very un-expected, hard hitting and truly unthinkable climax.

A slick performances with a mind blowing climax is what makes The Others a "5 star" for me.

Highly recommended to one and all.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, I agree, great climax!

The movie was a bit of a drag for me but the ending changed everything. I was completely taken by surprise!

All Talk and No Action said...

@Maher -
Yup, I agree !
The movie seemed to be just like any other Horror Flick. However, the climax was a stealer !

Thanks for visiting...