All Talk and No Action Sunday, October 9, 2011


"A library is many things. It’s a place to go, to get in out of the rain. It’s a place to go if you want to sit and think. But particularly it is a place where books live, and where you can get in touch with other people, and other thoughts, through books… A library is a good place to go when you feel bewildered or undecided, for there, in a book, you may have your questions answered. Books are good company, in sad times and happy times, for books are people — people who have managed to stay alive by hiding between the covers of a book."

After my parents, books can be credited with having raised me. 

I cannot begin to describe the enchantment and enrichment books offered me during school and college.

They still do. But, I read lesser today as compared with what I accomplished earlier.

I loved reading classics and Charles Dickens left quite an impression. Jane Austen was the next obvious favourite. 

During my 10th standard vacations, I happened to join a BMC library close to home, and I can swear to God the entire workforce there hated me. 

Now the thing is, as my vacation progressed, I started clocking two books every three days. For a minimal amount of subscription fees, I seemed to be keeping all of them extra busy, by asking for unheard of titles stashed away in the inner rooms. The employees often glared at me and even mentioned how they should penalise me for over reading and causing undue stress to them every two days.

Funny, this is not how I read any more. Today, I prefer taking time and reflecting over what the writer has shared. It could also be because these days I mostly read non fiction.

At some level, I would also attribute my comfort in being by myself to reading. Being a solo activity I seldom got a chance to share the wonderment with people around, unless the book was a part of classwork and required group discussions.

I don't think a childhood requires much. A library and a playground should do more than sufficient.

Any parent listening?


No comments: