All Talk and No Action Monday, October 3, 2011

This article greeted me as my train lugged into Mumbai today afternoon.

I couldn't agree more. 

Every time I go on an extended leave, for whatever reason, I end up clocking 12+ hours at work. Though I love my work, it is not a good reason for such an unhealthy practice.

When I look around, I find a lot of friends to be in worse situations. 

Most friends have the customary 22 days' worth annual leaves. Yet, applying for leaves is looked at with disdain. In fact, an architect friend who works with a well known firm in Mumbai has been refused leaves and been asked to do all sight-seeing on weekends. Her Marwari boss doesn't appreciate any hints of wanderlust and believes work must take precedence over everything else.

Now, this may seem a one off case, but Indians, in general, can't take a chill pill. Even if we let our hair down, it has to be only on weekends.

Movie? Weekend. Friends get-together? Weekend. Party? Weekend. Hobby? Weekend.

We come alive only on weekends.

During my stint in Hong Kong, every time the clock struck 6.00 pm, there used to be a minor quake in the lobby. Chinese, Aussies, Kiwis, Americans, English, Malaysians, Indonesians, Filipinos - everyone wanting to get out and get some fun! 

But not Indians. 

Nope.

The anthem Indians lived by : In the Citi, all over Hong Kong, we are the Bhaai, we are the Bhaai.

Bleddy phools.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The answer is we cant afford to, We are developing nation.

But I totally agree that we shouldn't slog at work, In my working career I never had to slog ( touch wood )specially when software engineers job is considered to be stressful and with long hours.

All Talk and No Action said...

@allthecrap - I should have mentioned that I was referring to upwardly mobile and financially comfortable middle and upper class Indians.

Also, though the article was about travel, the post referred to how Indians spend their time and really don't know how to "chillax" :-)